Laurel Street Zero Energy Community
- Located in the town of Northampton, MA
- Four Home Development of Zero Energy Homes
- Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Indexes as low as minus 22!
Market Rate Home Styles
- 8.58 kW to 11.7 kW Grid-tied Solar Electric Systems
- 12" Double Studded R-45 Low Density Foam Walls, R- 63 Cellulose Attic Insulation, R-20 Closed Cell Foam on the Basement Walls, R-5 Windows, and R-10 Rigid Insulation Under the Basement Slab
- ENERGY STAR Certified Rating of Zero Energy and Positive Energy Homes
- Ventilation systems, Low or No VOC Materials/Sealants/Paints, Hard Floor Surfaces
- Water Conserving Fixtures, Rapidly Renewable Materials, Low Maintenance Materials
MassDevelopment is redeveloping Village Hill in Northampton and has chosen Transformations, Inc. to design and build four homes in the South Campus along Laurel Street. Construction started in the spring of 2014.
Transformations designed a Greek Revival, a Farmhouse and two different “Lenox” models for the project. The two Lenox models have first floor master bedrooms---one of them includes a farmer’s porch on the front of the home. The Greek Revival and Farmhouse models have three bedrooms on the second floor with an additional Bonus Room that could be finished off later as a 4th bedroom, office or recreation room. All of these homes have the gable end to the street and the large solar electric (PV) systems to the side.
With a net zero energy home you solve your share of the 48% carbon emissions that come from the building sector---and you don't have any utility bills to pay. We now can go beyond this and address another 33% of the carbon emissions from the transportation sector.
The Lenox models have attained an incredible -22 HERS index. The home at #3 Laurel Street will have an 11.7 kW solar electric system on its southern roof. This will provide additional power for a future plug in electric vehicle!
Now you can also use your car to power a portion of your house when the grid goes down---with vehicle to home back up power.