Zero Energy Community
- Located in the Town of Littleton, MA
- 4 Home Development of Zero Energy Homes
- Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Indexes as low as minus 41!
Market Rate Home Styles
- 10.92 kW to 21.84 kW Grid-tied Solar Electric Systems
- As much as 50.8 MMBTU per year EXCESS energy!
- 12" Double Studded R-45 Low Density Foam Walls, R- 63 Cellulose Attic Insulation, R-20 Closed Cell Foam on the Basement Walls, R-5 Windows, and R-10 Rigid Insulation Under the Basement Slab
- ENERGY STAR Certified Rating of Zero Energy and Positive Energy Homes
- Ventilation systems, Low or No VOC Materials/Sealants/Paints, Hard Floor Surfaces
- Water Conserving Fixtures, Rapidly Renewable Materials, Low Maintenance Materials
Carter Scott was approached after giving a talk at a Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA) Building Energy event. The owners of the land had just received approvals for creating four additional lots surrounding their family land. They looked to Transformations, Inc. to see if zero energy homes could be built on them.
Transformations first built an “Amherst” model on a frontage lot in 2013. The 4 bedroom home was designed with a nice solar electric system in the back. Within a few weeks of the listing the home was under agreement.
In 2014 Transformations began building a custom home on the first lot of a shared driveway. The home was sold in October of 2014.
A Saltbox model (2,458 sf) with a first floor master was designed for Lot 2. The home comes with a leased solar electric system of 21.84 kW.
A four bedroom Amherst model has been built on Lot 3. It has a gorgeous master bedroom suite on the second floor with three additional well-proportioned bedrooms on the same floor.
With a net zero energy home you solve your share of the 48% carbon emissions that come from the building sector---and you don't have any utility bills to pay. We now can go beyond this and address another 33% of the carbon emissions from the transportation sector.
The Saltbox model has attained an astonishing -41 HERS index. This is modeled to provide additional -50.8 MMBTUs per year more than the home and its occupants consume in a year! More than enough power for two plug-in electric vehicles! This is the lowest HERS Index that we have found for a production home in the country!
Now you can also use your car to power a portion of your house when the grid goes down---with vehicle to home back up power.